Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, JRMC and Oppo combo not working as expected
24-11-2013, 20:01
MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, JRMC and Oppo combo not working as expected
I want to use BubbleUPnP on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 'phablet' to control the playback of stereo FLAC files served by MinimServer from my Synology NAS. I could use this software to 'push' the files directly to my Oppo BDP-105 media player but that does not yet support gapless playback of FLAC files via DLNA. However, if I push the files to J River Media Center on my PC, which has a USB connection to the asynchronous USB DAC input on the Oppo, then gapless playback is achieved.

So far, so good. However, this combination of MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, JRMC and Oppo does not handle playlists properly. Sometimes a playlist will stop after the first track. On other occasions, it might jump from the end of track 1 to the start of track 7. The behaviour appears to be quite random. Note that I am not using any shuffle options.

I have no idea if MinimServer is to blame but any suggestions for how to track down the cause of this problem would be much appreciated. I have made a similar post on the BubbleUPnP forum.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 21:18
RE: MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, JRMC and Oppo combo not working as expected
(24-11-2013 20:01)haggis999 Wrote:  I want to use BubbleUPnP on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 'phablet' to control the playback of stereo FLAC files served by MinimServer from my Synology NAS. I could use this software to 'push' the files directly to my Oppo BDP-105 media player but that does not yet support gapless playback of FLAC files via DLNA. However, if I push the files to J River Media Center on my PC, which has a USB connection to the asynchronous USB DAC input on the Oppo, then gapless playback is achieved.

So far, so good. However, this combination of MinimServer, BubbleUPnP, JRMC and Oppo does not handle playlists properly. Sometimes a playlist will stop after the first track. On other occasions, it might jump from the end of track 1 to the start of track 7. The behaviour appears to be quite random. Note that I am not using any shuffle options.

I have no idea if MinimServer is to blame but any suggestions for how to track down the cause of this problem would be much appreciated. I have made a similar post on the BubbleUPnP forum.

David

Is this a Synology 2-port NAS? The symptoms you are describing are similar to the problems some people were having when using the original MinimServer 0.72 release on a Synology 2-port NAS. These problems should be fixed in the current 0.72.2 download for Synology x86.
24-11-2013, 22:31
Yes, I am still using the same Synology DS412+ NAS with two Ethernet ports (though only one is being used). It also occurred to me that my current symptoms are similar to my experience with the earlier version of MinimServer for Synology x86 but I have not knowingly made any changes to the installation of MinimServer on my NAS since installing the update that fixed those problems back in September, i.e. 0.72.2 for Synology x86.

BTW, when I check the version of MinimServer via the Package Center it simply states 0.72 rather than 0.72.2. Is that significant?

David
24-11-2013, 22:41
(24-11-2013 22:31)haggis999 Wrote:  Yes, I am still using the same Synology DS412+ NAS with two Ethernet ports (though only one is being used). It also occurred to me that my current symptoms are similar to my experience with the earlier version of MinimServer for Synology x86 but I have not knowingly made any changes to the installation of MinimServer on my NAS since installing the update that fixed those problems back in September, i.e. 0.72.2 for Synology x86.

BTW, when I check the version of MinimServer via the Package Center it simply states 0.72 rather than 0.72.2. Is that significant?

David

It sounds like you have the wrong version installed. The 0.72.2 version should say 0.72.2 in the Package Center. Please download the 0.72.2 version again from the MinimServer website and install it on your Synology.
25-11-2013, 00:26
I have reinstalled MinimServer on my NAS and Package Center now reports that 0.72.2 is running. However, the playlist misbehaviour has not gone away despite restarting MinimServer, BubbleUPnP and JRMC. I also tried powering off and on both the Oppo and my Samsung Galaxy Note.

David
25-11-2013, 01:11
BTW, I get the same playlist problems if I simply use the 'Local Renderer' option in BubbleUPnP, so the problem has nothing to do with either JRMC or my Oppo.

David
25-11-2013, 11:17
Panic over. Depending on your point of view, it was either a BubbleUPnP design issue or a case of a dozy user!

I never thought to check the colour of the little crossed arrows icon on BubbleUPnP's Playing Now screen because I knew I had never selected the shuffle option during any of my recent attempts to play my music. What I did not realise until the author told me this morning, was that the shuffle option setting persists after exiting the app. I had not been using BubbleUPnP for at least two weeks and it is only now that I remember briefly experimenting back then with track shuffling.

For a classical music enthusiast like myself, shuffle is normally of no use at all, so a persistent setting of this option is not something I would have chosen. Perhaps most BubbleUPnP users exploit shuffle on a regular basis and thus see things a little differently. On the other hand, perhaps I just need to be more aware when little icons change from grey to blue...

David