Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ReplayGain
28-01-2024, 23:24
RE: ReplayGain
The FFmpeg version installed with DSM 7 should work for flac:L16; and convOut with ReplayGain should work with this transcode setting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2024, 14:53
(28-01-2024 23:09)Jim_Pap Wrote:  
(22-01-2018 21:39)simoncn Wrote:  3) In the stream.transcode property, add:

flac:wav;

exactly as shown, including the semicolon

Hi all. I am transcoding to L16, not to wav, because my renderer (Yamaha WXAD10) does not support seeking into flac or wav audio (and I hate not being able to seek). I use BubbleUpnp as my control point which does support ReplayGain. However, to my (poor) understanding, transconding removes the ReplayGain information so BubbleUPNP support of it becomes useless. If this is true, the only option I have is to use ReplayGain and convOut on MinimStreamer. So if I use

flac:L16;

will ReplayGain normalization during transcoding work as intended? Btw, I am running Minim on Synology DSM 7 and I am not sure if its ffmpeg is ok for trancoding my flacs.

Thank you
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, I've been annoyed for years that I can't seek when I use my Yamaha as a renderer. Sometimes it would even give me an error just hitting the button to go to the next track. I just tested it out in BubbleUpnp with transcoding to L16 and it works perfect, including using ReplayGain. Thank you again!
13-03-2024, 16:26
Just a quick follow up, it appears that ffmpeg on Synology DSM 7 can't handle transcoding to L24. It gives me an error saying no decoder available for L24, but seems to work perfectly fine for L16. I tried both ffmpeg4 and ffmpeg6. I don't have very many 24bit flacs so I'm not too worried about it right now since they play fine when transcoding to L16.
13-03-2024, 23:45
I tried this using the built-in FFmpeg 4.1.9 that is bundled with of DSM 7 (not installed as an add-on) and L24 transcoding is working with this version.
14-03-2024, 00:55
(13-03-2024 23:45)simoncn Wrote:  I tried this using the built-in FFmpeg 4.1.9 that is bundled with of DSM 7 (not installed as an add-on) and L24 transcoding is working with this version.

Is it the ffmpeg located in /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg? I had tried that one too and it didn't work. Maybe there's something else wrong with my configuration, I'll look into it. On BubbleUpnp it gives me an error saying "no compatible decoder found".

Config I'm trying:
stream.converter: /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg (or any of the add-on ffmpeg's)
stream.options: convOut=-af volume=replaygain=album
stream.transcode: mp3:L24, flac:L24;
14-03-2024, 11:27
On my Synology NAS, the built-in ffmpeg 4.1.9 binary is located in /bin/ffmpeg. This is on a DS224 running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3. To use this version of ffmpeg in MinimStreamer, set the stream.converter property to 'ffmpeg' (the default setting).

Also, you don't need to use FFmpeg to transcode FLAC to L24. Instead, you can use the internal transcoder that is part of MinimStreamer. The setting

flac(24):L24

uses the internal transcoder. The setting

flac(24):L24;

(with a semicolon) uses FFmpeg.
14-03-2024, 16:10
(14-03-2024 11:27)simoncn Wrote:  On my Synology NAS, the built-in ffmpeg 4.1.9 binary is located in /bin/ffmpeg. This is on a DS224 running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3. To use this version of ffmpeg in MinimStreamer, set the stream.converter property to 'ffmpeg' (the default setting).

Also, you don't need to use FFmpeg to transcode FLAC to L24. Instead, you can use the internal transcoder that is part of MinimStreamer. The setting

flac(24):L24

uses the internal transcoder. The setting

flac(24):L24;

(with a semicolon) uses FFmpeg.
I tried all of those combinations and nothing seems to work. I have a DS218+ running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4.

The only thing I notice is that when I set it up to transcode 16 and 24-bit flacs with separate commands (so flac(16):L16;, flac(24):L24; with or without the semi-colons), when I navigate the server in Windows Explorer, for the 16-bit flacs it has LPCM File under Item Type and for the 24-bit flacs the Item Type is blank. So it's like it's not recognizing it as an LPCM transcode or something. I honestly have no idea what the problem could be.
14-03-2024, 16:47
It sounds like the transcoding is happening correctly but Windows Explorer is not recognising an L24 stream. I am not surprised by this because L24 is an unusual format whereas L16 is a standard part of the DLNA specification. The important thing is whether or not your renderer is able to recognise and play the L24 format.
14-03-2024, 17:22
(14-03-2024 16:47)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the transcoding is happening correctly but Windows Explorer is not recognising an L24 stream. I am not surprised by this because L24 is an unusual format whereas L16 is a standard part of the DLNA specification. The important thing is whether or not your renderer is able to recognise and play the L24 format.

I think you're right, I think it's just that none of the renderers in my house support L24. After further investigation it turns out I have one AudioCast renderer that doesn't even support L16 so I'm not sure I can even do this anyway. I was really happy about being able to seek within songs on my Yamaha but oh well. Might just have to switch back to wav. Thanks for all your help looking into this.