Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginning of audio tracks dropping out
04-06-2016, 19:18
Beginning of audio tracks dropping out
I am having an issue with the first second of sound on album tracks dropping out. It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time. I have MinimServer installed on a Synology DS213j over Ethernet to an Oppo BDP-105.

I am pretty sure that is has to do with album art as I cannot get the problem to replicate on files not tagged with art. That being said, these are small art files 500x500, so I don't know why it's choking.

Before I decided it was probably an art issue, I tried different connections from the BDP105 to my Pre amp and changing the Oppo setting from split AV to dual HDMI, but the problem was still there.

Is there anything else that could be causing this? I like the album art so I don't want to get rid of it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2016, 20:56 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 20:58 by simoncn.)
RE: Beginning of audio tracks dropping out
You could try using MinimStreamer to do transcoding to a different format. This sends audio data to the renderer without sending album art. The control point will still get the album art from the untranscoded file.
04-06-2016, 21:56
(04-06-2016 20:56)simoncn Wrote:  You could try using MinimStreamer to do transcoding to a different format. This sends audio data to the renderer without sending album art. The control point will still get the album art from the untranscoded file.

Thanks Simon, I will try that. I am reading the MinimStreamer user guide and have a question. Most of my music is in various flac bit depth and sample rates. I have 16/44, 16/48, 2496, 24192, etc. Will flac:wav cover all of that or do I need to enter each one?
04-06-2016, 22:06
(04-06-2016 21:56)brownbear Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I will try that. I am reading the MinimStreamer user guide and have a question. Most of my music is in various flac bit depth and sample rates. I have 16/44, 16/48, 2496, 24192, etc. Will flac:wav cover all of that or do I need to enter each one?

You can use flac:wav and the original sample rate and bit depth of the FLAC file will be used for the transcoded WAV stream.
04-06-2016, 22:08
(04-06-2016 22:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 21:56)brownbear Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I will try that. I am reading the MinimStreamer user guide and have a question. Most of my music is in various flac bit depth and sample rates. I have 16/44, 16/48, 2496, 24192, etc. Will flac:wav cover all of that or do I need to enter each one?

You can use flac:wav and the original sample rate and bit depth of the FLAC file will be used for the transcoded WAV stream.

Ok that's what I did, but now my tags and album art no longer display
04-06-2016, 22:33
(04-06-2016 22:08)brownbear Wrote:  Ok that's what I did, but now my tags and album art no longer display

By 'tags', I presume you mean metadata such as the album name and artist name that is displayed on the renderer's Now Playing screen. This means the BDP105 isn't following the UPnP protocol correctly but is reading the metadata and album art from the streamed FLAC file. I don't think there is anything more that you can do at the MinimServer end to work around these renderer problems.
04-06-2016, 22:50
The initial dropout problem is also taking placing with the transcoded WAV stream, so now I'm definitely at a loss. You're probably right though, the problem is likely with the BDP105.
05-06-2016, 14:02
Closure to this in case it happens to someone else. Turns out it wasn't an issue with MinimServer or the BDP105, it's my pre amp. I switched to analog connection from the BDP105 to the Pre, and wala problem gone. The Pre is always working with a digital signal, so I had it connected digitally to avoid multiple D to A conversions. Made sense to me, but didn't work right. I'll have to contact McIntosh and see what they say, maybe there is a patch to fix this.