Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Instating 'Playlists' option to the home page
17-07-2016, 17:49
Re-Instating 'Playlists' option to the home page
Unfortunately, some time ago, I managed to remove the Playlists folder from the home page in Minimserver. I don't recall how I did this and would like to re-instate it and set up some playlists using Audio Station on my Synology NAS.

Could anyone advise on how I get my Playlists folder back onto the Minimserver home page. I've read through the set up instructions, but cannot find where it describes how the Home Page is configured or customised.

Many thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2016, 22:32
RE: Re-Instating 'Playlists' option to the home page
It's not a folder (though in some Control Points it may be given a folder icon), and MinimServer generates it automatically.

If you create a standard (.m3u) playlist anywhere within your music folder (the folder referenced by the MinimServer contentDir property), MinimServer will index it, and the 'Playlists' entry will them appear in the top level browse list.

I generally prefer to put my playlist files in a separate folder at the top level of the music folder. This is for ease of reference when editing the lists, and is not necessary; the playlist can be anywhere in the music folder or one of its sub-folders.

David
18-07-2016, 18:10 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 18:13 by JH1.)
(17-07-2016 22:32)DavidHB Wrote:  It's not a folder (though in some Control Points it may be given a folder icon), and MinimServer generates it automatically.

If you create a standard (.m3u) playlist anywhere within your music folder (the folder referenced by the MinimServer contentDir property), MinimServer will index it, and the 'Playlists' entry will them appear in the top level browse list.

I generally prefer to put my playlist files in a separate folder at the top level of the music folder. This is for ease of reference when editing the lists, and is not necessary; the playlist can be anywhere in the music folder or one of its sub-folders.

David

Thank you for your reply David. I have created a test .m3u playlist inside a "playlist" folder within the first level of my music folder, but for some reason the Playlist option doesn't appear in the home screen of Minimserver. I seem to remember removing some of the options shown on the home screen a while back, as there were several there I didn't need at the time. I'm thinking that is why I don't get the playlist option showing now, but afraid I can't remember what I did! I'm wondering if I've removed 'playlists' or similar from the contentDir?

Unfortunately, I am now away on business for 3 days, so I will have another look and see if it has appeared when I return. I created a playlist and the folder yesterday and it hadn't appeared by the evening after rescans and restarting all software/systems.

I'll have another try!

Thanks again,

Jason.
24-07-2016, 08:43
Just as an update, I have managed to get the playlist option back on the home page. I found the playlist I had created was not given the correct access permissions in my NAS software, hence why Minimserver was unable to read it. Oddly though, I have created a couple of playlists and Minim server has missed some of the tracks off each playlist. If I switch to my NAS (Synology) server that reads all the tracks ok. I can't see any settings that prevent Minim from reading, but allows other servers to read them! Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,

Jason.
24-07-2016, 09:23
(24-07-2016 08:43)JH1 Wrote:  Oddly though, I have created a couple of playlists and Minim server has missed some of the tracks off each playlist. If I switch to my NAS (Synology) server that reads all the tracks ok. I can't see any settings that prevent Minim from reading, but allows other servers to read them! Has anyone experienced this before?

A couple of thoughts. 1) MinimServer does not read hidden files (in Linux, fle names beginning with a '.'). 2) (the more likely, I'd guess) there is some incompatibility between the character set in which you created the playlist file and the one used by MinimServer on the Synology. Are there any accented or special characters in the file names that don't show up?

David
24-07-2016, 09:27
(24-07-2016 08:43)JH1 Wrote:  Just as an update, I have managed to get the playlist option back on the home page. I found the playlist I had created was not given the correct access permissions in my NAS software, hence why Minimserver was unable to read it. Oddly though, I have created a couple of playlists and Minim server has missed some of the tracks off each playlist. If I switch to my NAS (Synology) server that reads all the tracks ok. I can't see any settings that prevent Minim from reading, but allows other servers to read them! Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,

Jason.

Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?

As David said, this might be an issue with special characters. If your playlist contains these and they are encoded as UTF-8, you need to change the playlist file extension from .m3u to .m3u8.
24-07-2016, 22:26
David/Simon,

Thank you both for your responses.

I've been experimenting today and seem to have resolved the issue. When I created the playlist, I was logged into my NAS software as a named user. I then later added some extra tracks and this was done logged in under an admin account. I'm not sure why, but the extra tracks were the ones that didn't show. I could not see any difference in the coding between those that Minim read, and those that it didn't, but I assume there must have been something different somewhere.

Unusually the problem didn't manifest itself with the standard Synology upnp server, which seems strange (I thought it may have been a permissions issue initially), but at least I've identified what caused it, even if I don't know why!

Many thanks for your assistance.

Jason.