Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suitable IOS control point software for subnets
28-12-2017, 17:54
Suitable IOS control point software for subnets
Hi,

Since plugplayer ended support for the ipad app, I was not able to find new IOS control point software which is not depending on "IGMP discovery". In plugplayer I could add the Minimservers by URL (in another subnet) and that approach always "found" the MinimServer(s) in a second.

I use separate segments for wired and wireless through a Sophos XG firewall (router) and Zyxel GS2210-24 switch
- wireless: IOS devices through Sophos AP55 access points.
- wired: Minimservers (directly) and Linn DS (through an additional Netgear GS108)

I have enabled multicast forwarding on the router for address 239.255.255.250 between the 2 subnets.

Only on the Zyxel I have IGMP snooping settings, but enabled or disabled makes no difference, discovery is not working and the MinimServer and Linn DS only pop-up on the control point when restarting them (or waiting).

I tried to bypass the router with MVR on the switch, also without success.

I understand issues with discovery are not MinimServer related, but it would be nice if anyone can suggest me an IOS control point app which can go by URL, or has an idea to solve the discovery issue.

Thanks ! Raf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2017, 12:41
RE: Suitable IOS control point software for subnets
Multicast forwarding between the subnets is not sufficient. The UPnP discovery and communication protocol uses unicast messages as well as multicast messages, so you would also need to enable unicast forwarding for TCP and UDP. I haven't done this myself and I am not familiar with the details of how to set this up.
30-12-2017, 12:12
RE: Suitable IOS control point software for subnets
Thank you Simon, that was a good remark.

On the firewall I left the multicast forwarding and went to a set-up with PIM-SM with a Rendezvous Point, but the result is the same.

The (debian) server where the 2 minimserver instances run (both with different http and ohnet ports) also has a Logitech Media Server (LMS) installed. I activated the UPnP plug-in for that one, and strangly that one is always immediately available (probably the LMS plugin is sending more NOTIFY messages).

I will create a ticket with Sophos to check if they correctly handle M-SEARCH with PIM.

To be sure it was nothing on the set-up, I added a AP in the wired segment, and then all control points immediately find the minimservers and the Linn DS.