Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
28-08-2013, 15:48
RE: Raspberry PI running MinimServer - YES!
^ Ok. Great. So how long before we have solid instructions how to get Minimserver up on this thing? You know..like the fantastic nice and clear Minimserver NAS setup guides on the website?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 20:15
(28-08-2013 15:48)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ Ok. Great. So how long before we have solid instructions how to get Minimserver up on this thing? You know..like the fantastic nice and clear Minimserver NAS setup guides on the website?

The current build is experimental. When there is an official release, it will have step-by-step installation instructions.
29-08-2013, 00:23
^ Great! Cool!!!
15-11-2013, 20:25
Hi, I'm new here, brought in by the hope of getting a raspberry Pi server running. I followed the instructions above but have encountered a Java error, possibly related to the fact that the current version is higher than that used above.

Any news on a formal release for RP yet?

Thanks
Neil
15-11-2013, 20:32
(15-11-2013 20:25)NeilT Wrote:  Hi, I'm new here, brought in by the hope of getting a raspberry Pi server running. I followed the instructions above but have encountered a Java error, possibly related to the fact that the current version is higher than that used above.

Any news on a formal release for RP yet?

Thanks
Neil

A formal release will be available soon. I will send you a PM with a link to the current experimental build for hard-float Raspbian.
16-11-2013, 09:39
(15-11-2013 20:32)simoncn Wrote:  A formal release will be available soon. I will send you a PM with a link to the current experimental build for hard-float Raspbian.

Thank you so much Simon. It's up and running with a few flac files on the Pi for test purposes.

Neil
16-11-2013, 13:56
Simon your current trial hard float release works really well. Thanks for all your commitment to this project

Dave
29-11-2013, 23:47
Hmm, this is scary, thanks to Simon and this forum I just got minim server-0.72e working on RPI Model B Revision 1.0 (256MB RAM) working flawlessly via WiFi and streaming 16bit/44.1kHz wav from qnap server into PS Audio PWD Smile I'm using raspbmc distro which is hard-float.

Why scary? Because it took me only about 15 minutes and it works via wifi (both loading files via nfs from qnap and streaming to DAC also).

CPU load of java is negligible (2% cpu) , most of the cpu is taking XBMC (even when it's idling it takes about 30% of rpi's cpu)

Seems I will test higher bitrates and/or transcoding also Smile

This is big surprise for me and kudos to Simon and Guy!
30-11-2013, 00:09 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 00:10 by ReneZ.)
I use a RBPI with a connected USB harddrive. The Linn DS is hard wired to the RBPI and WAP, all connected to a little hub. This plays 24/192 FLAC transcoded to WAV24 without any issues. Have fun!
30-11-2013, 00:52 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 00:52 by maniac.)
to sum it up for now:

minim server-0.72e working on RPI Model B Revision 1.0 (256MB RAM)

raspbmc installed
java package jdk-7u45-linux-arm-vfp-hflt.tar.gz installed
xbmc disabled via command: sudo initctl stop xbmc

nfs share from qnap

rpi connected via wifi to qnap and upnp dac (Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS])
wifi access point - apple airport extreme, about half meter from rpi

16/44 ok
24/88 ok
24/96 ok
24/176 bigger skips occasionaly (probably issue with DAC software)
24/192 ok

via wifi, transcoding to wav:

16/44 ok
24/88 ok
24/96 ok
24/176 microskips
24/192 skips

bottomline:
- do not browse the library during playing it can cause skips/drop outs on 24/176 and higher rates
- let album art to load in your controller before playing, loading art during playback can cause skips/drop outs on 24/176 and higher rates
- disable xbmc if you want to use transcoding of highres
- i believe going via ethernet as ReneZ suggested will solve the skips/dropouts as cpu usage is under 50% - will try this when time allows Smile