Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Year tag
09-12-2023, 14:21
Year tag
I've just applied a tagOption (set to Album.sortTags={-Date} ), I'm a bit confused because the tag I have in my files is 'Year' and not 'Date'.......I tried putting 'Year' in the tagOption, Minim gave me a syntax error.
Why does the option need 'Date' and not 'Year'?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2023, 15:57 (This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 15:59 by simbun.)
RE: Year tag
The release date is stored in the DATE tag in FLAC files or the TYER/TDRC tags in MP3's(ID3v2.3/ID3v2.4).

MinimServer simply consolidates all the standards into a single field (which it calls DATE) just like all the taggers do, but each have their own naming standard. What format are your files and in what application do you see 'Year'?
09-12-2023, 17:18
There is information in this post about how Mp3tag handles this. This might be relevant to the present discussion.
11-12-2023, 16:22
Thank you for the replies and pointers.....a bit of a learning curve for me as I'm moving from one way of doing things to another. I was in the Logitech Media server world and over years done what works for me in terms of tagging etc. I have deliberately kept things simple in terms of tags and got things set up as best I can - see albums in date sequence, see disc1 before disc2 etc, various artist albums in one place.
Now I have moved to a Naim streamer and using Minimserver on the NAS.
I use MP3tag for 99% of tagging duties (occasionally Jriver) - this is where the 'year/date' question has come from as MP3tag shows the tag as 'year'. I also use MP3tag to extract tags into text/excel files so I can identify oddities, over the years I spent a bit of effort doing this.
I'm going to go step by step to get the Naim app playing nicely with Minimserver before trying anything outside what needs to be done.
I've discovered 'Exiftool' which looks like it may be of some use.
Many thanks again for the info and pointers.
11-12-2023, 18:02
(11-12-2023 16:22)paulr Wrote:  I also use MP3tag to extract tags into text/excel files so I can identify oddities, over the years I spent a bit of effort doing this.
The export feature and regular expressions are what keep me coming back, but I mainly use foobar, which when coupled with the SQLite plugin enable you to write SQL against your collection. Like you I mainly use this for QA, but it's also possible to use it for updating tags so you can do things with it that you can't in any other tool e.g. calculate and update the tracktotal tag across your collection.

(11-12-2023 16:22)paulr Wrote:  I've discovered 'Exiftool' which looks like it may be of some use.
The Tag Inspector functionality in MusicBee is also good for that.